17 April 2007

22/4/07 Poorly Boy


Last night my eldest son (16yrs) was carted off to hospital in an ambulance.
He's been poorly for almost a fortnight with what I thought was just a viral infection but he's been getting increasingly worse in that time with a sever sore throat (he's barely eaten and lost over 9lb in week) high fever that we couldn't get down even with ibubrufen and general lethargy. He's not been off the sofa or bed for about 4 days except to see the gp thurs am who gave him antibiotics and mentioned glandular fever. He went down hill rapidly from then onwards, trouble breathing, delirious, swollen lips nose and cheeks, by this stage very dehydrated and listless so we made the decision to call an ambulance.
The upshot is that he was admitted to A&E at 11.15pm, seen by two Drs who both diagnosed different things but neither were sure. First said extreme allergic reaction to antibiotics, second said glandular fever with complications (no kidding). So he was finally sent up to the ward at 4am and has had steroid, fluids and antibiotics intraveneously overnight.
I came home at 5am to get my weary head down and was woken by the littlies at 7am, grrrrr!
I just rang hosp and he's going to be there at least till monday so obviously I want to be with him but I have an upset stomach which I think is just a respose to the stress but there are signs all over hosp saying not to visit if you have had an upset tummy or vomiting in the last 24 hrs!

No comments: