6 May 2007

And all this on our doorstep.




I live on the coast between the New Forest and the Jurassic Coast. I am surrounded by beautiful countryside, historic buildings, award winning blue flag beaches and quaint villages. So why do I spend money taking the kids to indoor play areas, extortionately priced 'tourist' attractions and the like?


My younger kids are at the age where they love a walk in the countryside as much as a play area.


When I was a child (if I can remember back that far) my dad and stepmum used to take my sister and I out for the day with a picnic. They always took us for great walks in the forest or to little coves with rock pools. We'd collect fircones or shells and that sort of thing. I remember how I loved those sunday walks and they never cost my dad a penny, except maybe an ice cream or two.


I really wish I could recreate those days with my own kids if that makes sense.


So if this were New Year my resolution would be to make the most of the natural beauty around me and teach my children to appreciate and value the natural beauty on their doorstep.

No comments: